Advertising forms one component of the promotion mix. It has become very popular and useful and has reached the status of an independent discipline. It has grown at a very fast pace andhas become a special field of study. Promotion Mix consists of:
- Advertising: It is a non-paid personal form of presentation and promotion of ideas, goods services by an identified sponsor.
- Personal selling: It is an oral presentation for the purpose of sale.
- Sales promotion: It is an immediate inducement that adds extra value to the product.
- Publicity: It is the management of functions, that helps public to understand the policies of the organization.
In this section, we shall deal extensively with Advertising only. It has been derivedfrom the latin word ‘Adverto’ which means to turn around, to draw attention to any subject orpurpose.
To call the public's attention to your business, usually for the purpose of selling products or services, through the use of various forms of media, such as print or broadcast notice.
Advertising provides a direct line of communication to your existing and prospective customers about your product or service. The purpose of advertising is to:
- Make customers aware of your product or service;
- Convince customers that your company's product or service is right for their needs;
- Create a desire for your product or service;
- Enhance the image of your company;
- Announce new products or services;
- Reinforce sales people's messages;
- Make customers take the next step (ask for more information, request a sample, place an order, and so on); and
- Draw customers to your business.